My Music Business Story Today

I have much to say, but don't really feel like talking about the music business right now. So I will waste your time by telling you a story. Leave if you must and stay if you'd like. Perhaps there's something to be learned in the story below.

A gentleman called me after hearing me speak at a music conference in Atlanta 2008. He said he really like what I had to say and appreciated me speaking to him after the panel was over. Of course, I said that's what we do, help others while helping ourselves at the same time.

I asked the gentleman how might I be able to assist him. He told me that he was a convicted felon and that he was looking for work. He stated most jobs he couldn't apply for because of his record. In attempting to be as polite as possible I told the gentleman while I'd like to assist him I was not an employment agency and that I wasn't clear on what he wanted. He said he'd like a position in the music industry, but right now he needed work. I told him me too. lol

Seriously, I told the gentleman that he'd need to remember four important things. First, always keep it positive. It will not always be easy and may not be simple, but keeping it positive was imperative to his long-term grows and success. The it was his mind set. Secondly, I suggested that he THINK. That's right THINK about what it was he truly wanted to do. Third, he should plan. By planning I mean to write down his thoughts on paper. Then fine tune his plan with research, actual facts and information that would help him achieve his goal and realize his potential. Fourth, was one of the most important steps. I suggested that after he has maintained a positive mental attitude, thought through what he wanted to do, the process and created a masterful plan the last thing for him to do was to put the plan into daily repititve action.

I must have said something to strike a nerve or maybe it was how I said what I said, because the gentleman thanked me and said in a sincere tone "you are that dude!" By that he meant you are the one. THE ONE -the one that has made a decision to do for self and share the process with others.

How is this relative to your success in the music business you ask? It may not be if you do nothing with the informaiton. However as you reread through the story you'll find a forumla that you may apply to achieving certain levels of success as an emerging recording artist, music producer, singer, songwriter, music manager or other music industry professional.

Music Industry Connection