SMES Music Business

CLICK TO VIEW MUSIC BUSINESS VIDEOS



Below is a music business correspondence that I had with Mic Fiend Promotions concerning the SMES (Music Conference) in Myrtle Beach, SC 2008. I'm including this because you may be able to learn something new or be reminded of something that will help you along your journey in this business of music. The correspondence has been edited for clarity.

MIC FIEND PROMOTIONS ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

If it smells like sh&t, looks like sh@t and sounds like sh%t… It probably is!

And that ladies & gentleman Is exactly what some of the artists at the SMES artist showcase where. Let me ask everyone a question? Do you actually listen to your music before deciding to perform it or try to sell it? Think about that I'll come back to this...

SMES weekend was very good. The panels where informative and the panelists where actually approachable. They really wanted to talk artists and even joked [with them]. I want to give a special shout out to Neek from hot 103.9 in SC and 103 Jamz PD DJ Law in VA. These two radio personalities gave the closest explanation I've heard as to why your song can't get played on the radio. The reason is simple, there isn't enough money in your bank account and these people like their jobs. Just like you have to give labels a reason to spend millions of dollars on your music, you also have to give radio a reason to put their job on the line to [play] your new music. The only gripe I have is at times panelist can make things seem so easy when they know it's not. All in all, a hit record is what makes all those problems go away…

I was a little disappointed at how many attendees we had at the last panel, which was How to Form Your Indy label. You would think everyone would be there, but only a select few where there. It seems that most artists where more interested in kissing A&R's asses at the A&R panel...

PRIMO STAR, PRIMO STAR and PRIMO STAR. Man this guy gave a performance I would pay to see again. You jacked up the mood as well because no one could come behind you and put on such a memorable performance. My hat goes to you! I had a good time, met some people I wanted to meet and some that I didn't.

Artists Keep This In Mind:

You are a business. You represent what your company and music is about, take it serious, and people will take you serious. Attend these events, get knowledge and network. READ JAWAR'S BOOK! Don't just do it because he'll lecture you on it for 20 minutes during the conferences, Do it because the book is that damn good. He sells them for 19.95. I bought two. They're going for $50 apiece, lol. This guy is great! Thanks JaWar.

Shout [out] to Chubbz, James, Chuck T, B-lord, Cthagod, Frosty, Shera Bass, Shaheem Reid and 9th Wonder (for making the Honey beat)… and everyone else that made the event great. See you at ATL record Pool… Shout to VA, and SC for coming in deep, and supporting...

JAWAR'S RESPONSE:

Ok, so you don't mind telling people what you think.. :-)

May I republish all are part of your message below? Did you get any video footage from the conference? Did I really lecture people for 20 min about getting the books, I must be getting soft in my older years I use to do it for 2 hours. LOL! THINK, PLAN, EXECUTE!

MIC FIEND RESPONDS TO JAWAR:

LOL, I like to be honest, but I put some humor in there. Gotta laugh and still get the message across. Of course, please do republish. You lectured for awhile, but i have to say it was the realest and best part of the [music] conference. I can tell you love this, I respect that. I'm trying to do my part in helping artists and still be honest and fun. Thanks my dude.