Music Business Moment of Truth

A young man contacted me the other day through an online forum and asked that I call him because he wanted to talk. I sent him a response asking what would be the nature of our conversation? He said he liked the way my profile was laid out and how I was sharing information that would empower others to do for self and that he too was interested in being a published author and motivational speaker. The young man also stated he didn't have any money.

Fantastic, I replied and what would be the agenda or specific purpose for the call and why did you mention that you didn't have any money? The young man said he wanted to ask me a few questions and new that as a business consultant that I would charge for my time. Sounds good was my response. I stated in the interest of time I've found it good to have some specific questions to deal with to ensure we make the most of our time. Additionally, I typically reserve phone time for current or potential clients. I then asked him if he had any type of budget? He said yes, but it was small. What's the amount I asked? He said $75-$100. I asked him if he had a Paypal Account or Major Credit Card so we may get that "moment of truth" out the way and begin.

The young man stop responding after that!

Perhaps I offended him. Perhaps I was wrong for asking what was his budget after he stated he didn't have any money. However, it has been my experience that we generally pay for what we value. While this may be an extreme case it's safe to say that most of us value food, so we are willing to pay for it. Often, when it comes to information that may empower us to move our businesses and careers forward we don't place the same level of value on it. Maybe it's because information may be gathered so quickly by Googling or maybe, because we are not accustomed to paying for consulting/coaching services. Whatever the case when I begin to bring a potential client and I to the "moment of truth" (payment time) it is quickly determine how serious they really are.

When people have to start paying for products and services to help boost their business and careers their enthusiasm for wanting to work with me changes dramatically in many cases.

People are willing to waste their time and mine with no remorse. When someone doesn't have a budget (money) it makes it simple for them to waste our time, because they have nothing to loose. They are not investing years of experience, connections and resources. They are not giving up anything in return as they are the sponges seeking to soak up the products and services being offered.

This blog is being presented to remind us that while we may have a love for music, many of us have invested a considerable amount of time, energy and resources to master and perfect our craft that brings tremendous value to others. Many of us have made a number of sacrifices along the way and in many instances continue to this day.

We all must pay. Either we pay now or we pay later, but we will pay. Typically, if you pay later (future) the cost is much, much higher than paying now (present).

If you are looking for some additional streams of revenue you may want to consider making money online. Below are a few resources to get you started.

Money in Music
Lease Beats Make Money