Music Business -Selling Out

Does selling a lot of music mean that the music is good or great music? Does it mean that the music is classic? These were the type of questions that was asked on a music industry forum online. Below is my response. The number question is what was asked and the bold text was my replies.

1) Does selling millions of records mean you are putting out good music?

ANSWER: Yes, if the sells are from the consumers and not from record label purchased music.

2) Does a person who sells lots of records classify them has having a good album?

ANSWER: Yes, if the sells are from the consumers and not from record label purchased music

3) Have we been misguided in to believing that numbers is not the be all to having a classic album?

ANSWER: No

RESPONSE: With some music I may like what you like on others I may dislike what you like. It is about personal taste. No, one person or group of people have a dictate on what good music is -per se. Music is subjective to the end user. Music touches people in different ways. Personally I don't like much of what I've heard from Lil Wayne musically over the span of his entire career. I may even think what I've heard from Lil Wayne is garbage on the other hand I may like everything I've heard from Lil Wayne and think his music is the best thing since the sun rising. Whatever the case it is simply my opinion and hold no real case until I do one of four things.

1) Buy his music
2) Don't buy his music
3) Talk about his music
4) Don't talk about his music

The fact that we are even having this discussion and that Lil Wayne was the example means he and his marketing machine have done something correctly i.e. Lil Wayne and his camp probably don't know who JaWar is yet.

Furthermore, a classic album will truly be tested by the sands of time. I can put on "Between the Sheets" by the Isley Brothers and the song still gets the mood right after 30+ years. This is an example of a classic album/song. Honestly, it is unfair to attempt to call any new release classic for it has not been tested by father time.

Now let's get back to business. Have you downloaded the Music Industry Connection Book Series or watched these music business videos yet? Thats Industry Pimping.