Music Business -Help a Starving Artist

The correspondence below is to share with you a conversation I had with someone who wanted my company to market their music. Essentially, they asked me to assist them and I asked what was their budget. Below is the response they sent to me. Follow is the response I sent to them. I purposely changed their name and website, although it is a music business Ning site.

#####
On May 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM, "Emerging Artist" wrote:
hi JaWar

i dont want to be rude, it seems like selfish buisness marketing to only agree to help someone,
not based on their talent or ability, but how much money they can give you to begin with? it defies the concept of helping someone who wants to go far and succeed.

just because i cant present you with a budget right night you wont help me, but instead
advertise your tutorials?

maybe this is not a good way to go, maybe i have more to loose than to gain if we work together.

regardless, thanks for supporting (my site), it is a good website indeed.
#####

Thank you for the message.

Because I have a desire to assist people, I've taken a great deal of time to record, edit and upload a number of music business videos, maintain over 40+ websites, blogs and webpages full of music business content. In addition, I've written and published several paperback, audio and ebooks on the music business that are relatively inexpensive for those who do not have a budget necessary to secure my companies expertise of strategic marketing, promotions and business development.

Additionally, it is understood if one doesn't have any money as you have previously indicated to secure my companies professional business services. To not have any budget means that the best way my company may serve you is through the resources mentioned above.

The time my company spends on marketing your music and using the resources and contacts we have built over the years means that we are not servicing our paying clients. We are not the judge on great, good or bad talent. Our services our for strategic planning, branding, marketing, promotions and business development.

There are a number of music business consultants who don't have any books to sell nor websites, blogs, webpages or business videos for you to learn about the business. However, you are free to contact whom ever you like in an effort to secure their professional business services.

If you deem these business practices to be of a selfish nature than I happily accept that.

Furthermore, I've attempted to purchase food, fuel, clothing, shelter, pay the I.R.S., pay back student loans, pay credit card bills, purchase airline tickets, register for conferences, pay phone bills and help family members with both love and the talent and ability of potential clients (artists & music producers). To my suprise the grocery store, gas station, clothing store, mortgage or housing company, U.S. Governmental Agency, student loan corporation, visa, master card, delta airlines, american airlines, various music conference and other businesses do not accept love nor the talent and ability of emerging artist and music producers as a viable form of currency.
  • When you go to the grocery store or restaurant do you not eat because you don't have any money?
  • When it's time to pay for housing do you not seek decent shelter because you don't have money?
  • When it's time to get new clothes, do you not buy because of lack of money?
No, you don't go without. In fact you find a way to get the money you need to pay for those things you truly value. When you move beyond being a talent to being a business you'll rethink how you approach other businesses. You'll respect the professionalism one business may bring to the table. You'll have enough integrity to ask what are the fees charged for your services that will inevitably help boost your music business and career.

Please don't ever question my integrity as a business professional and company. As you we have bills to pay, as we have paid our dues.

Remember through our or any other professional business service you seek to gain revenue from your talent. Our talent is helping you get there.

In terms of me advertising on (your site) I'm one of the most active persons on the site. However, if you'd like I have no problem leaving the site if you feel I'm not an active contributor who brings value to (it).

Thank you,
JaWar